Important aspect of how Cluvio works is that we never pull data from your database and instead run queries directly against the DB. We cache the query results for up to 24 hours, in order to:
- serve dashboards fast
- reduce the load on your database
In case of dashboards that use filters, the results are cached separately for each combination of parameters. In case the filters are changed, the results are either returned from the cache, or a new set of queries to retrieve the results (for each report affected by the filters change).
Additionally, any dashboard open in a browser is not static, the dashboard automatically refreshes in the background to make sure the current data are displayed, according to the Data refresh setting of the dashboard or any changes made to the dashboard are automatically shown.
Here is an outline of the refresh logic:
- an open dashboard checks for updates to its reports every minute. If there is a new set of results for any of the reports, any changes to existing reports or new reports added, these changes will be reflected immediately
- each report caches its data for 2 hours and its query would not be re-run unless the data exist in cache - this means, that an open dashboard would never display data older than 2 hours
- a dashboard or any of its reports can be forced to re-run the report query/queries at any time using the "Refresh" action from the report or dashboard dropdown menu - this will re-execute the report's query and update the cached results (for all users)
- the dashboard results are cached for all parameters accessed - you will notice that switching back to a combination of parameters accessed recently is faster, as the report queries are not re-executed and the cached results used instead
- Any published dashboard will be kept updated (pre-warmed) every 2 hours for the default filters, so accessing it is fast as the values are already present in the results cache
With this, you can put a dashboard on a TV on a wall and the dashboard will keep itself updated.