Dashboard groups can be used to organize dashboards by purpose into a smaller lists.
Dashboard Group is simply a named collection of dashboards with an optional description.
There are 3 special kinds of groups that appear in the list:
- Favorites, that show any dashboards that have been marked as a favorite by the user. See more here.
- Samples, that show the initial Cluvio sample dashboards
- All, that shows all the dashboards the user has access to
Couple important notes:
- single dashboard can be in multiple groups
- when a dashboard group is removed, the dashboards in it are not removed with it
- the access permissions are managed on a dashboard, the groups do not alter this in any way
- business users (viewers) only see the dashboard groups that are marked as "Display for all users" and only those that have dashboards accessible to that user - i.e. the viewers would never see empty dashboard groups.
Dashboard group(s) actions
The dashboard groups actions are available in a dropdown menu on the right side of the dashboard groups bar. The dropdown menu displays actions that apply to all groups, as well as actions for the currently selected group.
Creating a dashboard group
Only admins or analysts can create and edit dashboard groups. To create a new dashboard group, click the "Create Group" in the dashboard groups dropdown menu. The screen that opens lets you choose the group name, optional description and select the dashboards for the group.
Editing group and adding/removing dashboards
Similarly, clicking on "Edit" in the dropdown will open the same screen that allows to change the group properties or add/remove dashboards.
Managing which groups a dashboard is in is also possible from the dropdown on a dashboard:
Dashboard group visibility
When a dashboard group is created, it is initially only visible to the analyst who created it. To make it available to other users, choose the "Display for all users" from the group dropdown menu.
A group displayed for all users will appear for
- all analysts
- any viewer users that have access to at least one dashboard from the group
Similarly, a group visible to all users can be changed to private by selecting "Display only for me".
Removing a dashboard group
To remove a dashboard group, choose the "Remove Group" from the group dropdown menu. When a group is removed, the dashboards are not deleted with it.
Reordering dashboard groups
To change the order of the dashboard groups, choose the "Reorder Groups" action.
Special build-in Samples group
The Samples group is a special built-in group that shows the Cluvio sample dashboards. The actions for this group are different that for a regular group and allow to change the visibility of the sample dashboards without having to delete them. Use "Hide Samples for Viewers" to make the samples group/dashboards only visible to analysts. Use "Hide Samples for Everyone" to hide for all users. If hidden, you can make them visible again later from the same dropdown menu.